Spinach & Artichoke Dip
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoon minced onion
1/4 cup flour
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup sour cream
2 cups fresh baby spinach chopped
12 ounce jar canned artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
1. Melt butter in large sauce pan.
2. Add the garlic and onion and saute until they are golden, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
4. Whisk in the heavy cream and chicken broth. Allow the mixture to come to a boil (3-5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in the romano cheese, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt. Keep the mixture on the heat until the cheese melts.
6. Turn the heat off and stir in the sour cream.
7. Stir in the spinach and artichoke hearts.
8. Spoon the mixture in a 13″x9″ oven safe dish.
9. Top with the shredded white cheddar cheese.
10. Bake at 375* for about 15-20 minutes. The cheese should be melted and the dip should be bubbling along the edges.
11. Serve warm with chips or crusty bread.
* Dip can be prepared in advance. Complete steps 1-9 then cover and keep in the refrigerator. Bake it off when ready to serve.
* Dip freezes really well. If I’m making it for a smaller gathering, I will spoon the mixture into 2 smaller serving dishes. I freeze one and serve the other. Just defrost your frozen dip before placing in the oven.